Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Where Does Talent Come From?

I just finished a phone interview with Clara Kay, an editor at Cake Month magazine.

CLARA: "Is there anyone you want to thank for giving you the great cake decorating skills you have?"

ME: "God".

CLARA: "Anyone else? Teachers? Former Chefs? The Cake Boss?"

ME: "Clara, I have had many great teachers and role models over the years who have helped shape me into the baker and decorator I am today, however, the One who gave me the talent and the opportunity to practice my craft, through church and volunteer activities, who gave me the funds I needed to buy the ingredients I needed to make desserts for neighbors and friends and random people on the street, was God. I credit all my talent to Him, because He is the one who gave it to me."

CLARA: "Ok then, thank you Chef."


What do you want to bet that when this interview comes out it will say "I have had many great teachers and role models over the years who have helped shape me into the baker and decorator I am today", and nothing else? Why does it scare people when I credit what I can do to God?

Trust me, I'm not that great when I'm all on my own... I became great when I learned that what I had, I got from God and that if I used what talent I had for Him, I would only get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment